Coconut is one of the most versatile superfoods imaginable, and its versatility contributes to making it one of the most ubiquitous ingredients incorporated into products sold at health food stores and other retail stores. You’ll find coconut included on the ingredients list on products ranging from skin creams to cleaners to snack foods. Let’s explore 18 innovative coconut-derived products for use in cooking, cleaning and natural beauty care.
- Coconut Oil — Coconut oil has hundreds of possible uses. It’s a delicious cooking oil, and it can be used as a butter substitute.
- Coconut Palm Sugar — This natural sweetener looks and tastes like brown sugar, but it’s a much healthier alternative. Use it instead of sugar to sweeten lemonade or other beverages. It’s great for use in smoothies as well. We haven’t yet tried baking with it, but that’s another possibility you could explore.
- Coconut Flour — Coconut flour is a delicious alternative to wheat flour. You’ll definitely want to try it if you have a gluten sensitivity, but even if you don’t, it’s an interesting product to try.
- Coconut Aminos — If you’re allergic to soy or avoiding it for other reasons, try organic coconut aminos as a flavorful alternative to teriyaki or soy sauce products. The coconut aminos are sweeter and less salty, but they do flavor rice delightfully. You can also use them in salad dressings, marinades and sauces.
- Shredded Coconut — Chefs use shredded coconut for a variety of purposes, particularly in baked goods.
- Coconut Water — Coconut water is a fantastic electrolyte drink, and it’s also an incredible base for making fruit smoothies and other refreshing beverages.
- Coconut Milk — You can use coconut milk for diverse purposes such as baking and preparing ethnic foods. It’s delicious when used instead of water to prepare rice dishes, and it’s an essential ingredient in many Thai soups. It’s an excellent base for making healthy, energy-enhancing fruit smoothies.
- Coconut Cream — Coconut cream is another versatile coconut-derived product with multiple uses in baking and cooking.
- Coconut Candy — Coconut combines well with chocolate and other confections to make delightful candies.
- Coconut-Based Laundry Liquid — Coconut is being used as a surprisingly effective surfectant to power laundry soaps and laundry liquids.
- Coconut Oil Soap — Coconut-based soaps are popular for both personal care and cleaning purposes.
- Coconut Massage Oil — Coconut oil soothes and enhances the skin, making the ideal massage oil. It also combines well with essential oils for aromatherapy purposes.
- Coconut Hair Conditioner — Coconut oil alone makes a wonderful conditioner for the hair, but many purveyors of beauty care products are incorporating it into their recipes to create a variety of effective coconut-based conditioners.
- Coconut Milk Shampoo — Coconut milk based shampoos are currently trendy among consumers who prefer to use natural beauty care products rather than chemically-derived products.
- Coconut Insect Repellent — Coconut oil is a key ingredient in some naturally derived insect repellents that typically also include essential oils like tea tree oil, peppermint oil and oregano oil.
- Coconut Deodorant — Coconut has antibacterial properties that make it an effective deodorant base.
- Coconut Eye Cream — Coconut oil alone is an effective eye cream, but it’s often combined with other ingredients in eye cream recipes.
- Coconut Wrinkle Cream — Coconut has astounding anti-aging properties and can actually help to reduce wrinkles if used consistently as part of a natural beauty care regiment.
So now you’re updated about 18 different coconut-based products to look for when you shop. We hope this information has been helpful in educating you about some of the ways coconut is being used for cleaning, cooking and organic beauty care.